Monday, October 28, 2019

the Slipper Man of Ottawa

(Ash Abraham/CBC)
They call me the Slipper Man, but my real name is Robert Lacombe. I’ve probably knitted 20,000 pairs of slippers in my lifetime. 

(Ash Abraham/CBC)

From tattoos to yarn

I was a tattoo artist for about 10 years. I'd tattoo out of my house, but then my eyes started getting bad, so I had to quit.
My wife owned one pair of knitting needles, so I started knitting with chopsticks. She bought me my first pair or real needles.

We were married for over 30 years. During that time, my wife became sick. She had kidney dialysis three days a week. While she was on the machines getting her treatment, I’d wait for her in the lobby, knitting. I’d knit little things for other patients in the hospital, especially patients who didn’t have any visitors. I’d give them something, and they’d be happy.
It’s been 10 years since she died, but I am doing pretty good.

(Ash Abraham/CBC)

Nothing but a stitch

I could sit inside all day and watch television, but I like talking to people. After my wife died, I started knitting in places other than the hospital. Now, I knit all day long.
The only time I am not knitting is when I am at work. Even if it rains, I am knitting outside. I put a plastic bag over myself and keep knitting.
When I am not doing anything, I start to think about my problems. But when I am knitting, I have no problems. I am thinking about nothing but a stitch.

Robert Lacombe carries a shopping bag filled with needles, yarn and finger puppets he has made for children he meets. (Ash Abraham/CBC)

Comforting Patterns

I knit the same slipper pattern my wife taught me. It takes about 16 hours to make a pair. I go through tons of wool a week. And, I figure, there’s more feet in the world than anything else, and it’s really cold in Ottawa, so I’ll just keep knitting slippers. People who are sick or don’t feel great can wear my slippers and feel a little better.
I don’t want to sell my slippers online because I hate computers. It’s nice when I sell a pair, but talking to people is what I love the most. I’ve met people from all over the world.
I have no reason to stop. It makes me happy. Why would I stop doing something that makes me happy?
Knitting keeps my mind active, and makes me feel good. It makes me feel like I’ve done something with my life.

When he’s not knitting, Lacombe enjoys spending time with his cat, pictured here. (Ash Abraham/CBC)

Source: newsinteractives.cbc.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...